Monday, August 18, 2008

Design Inspiration and this blog


Welcome to my blog about interior design, real estate and anything else that inspires me enough to write about it. I'll use this first entry as a bit of an introduction to me and what I do.

For starters, I live in Seattle and have my own interior design business, Adorn. (http://www.adornhomeinteriors.com) I'm also a licensed Realtor with Coldwell Banker Bain (http://www.cbbain.com/rebeccacarlson). I love anything and everything to do with a home. So much so, that I couldn't decide between the two professions, so I'm doing them both. And honestly, they really do go well together. When I work with a client looking to buy a home, I'm able to help them see the potential in a home they might not be able to see.

Like many designers I know, I didn't start out my professional career doing interior design. In fact, I spent 15 years in Corporate America as a Human Resources Manager. My yearning to break out of the "corporate box" and do something more creative finally won and so I gave up the steady paycheck to work on my own. I haven't looked back since and couldn't be happier.

My design philosophy is pretty simple: your home should be a reflection of who you are and a place where you can kick off your shoes and relax. I generally believe you get what you pay for, yet I'm a sucker for a good deal! Mixing high-end items with great deals from Target or Pottery Barn is a great way to get a custom look without breaking the bank. My general design style leans towards casual elegance. I like a home to be comfortable and inviting, yet have a touch of sophistication. Transitional pieces are what I tend to gravitate towards within my own home - bringing together traditional pieces with a modern flair.


I hope you come back frequently to see what's inspiring me in my work, perhaps learn something new, or hopefully get inspired yourself.

Your thoughts/comments are welcome. My email is adornhomeinteriors@comcast.net (or my real estate email is rebeccacarlson@cbbain.com).

No comments: